Older practice advice should not be relied upon for currency. Practice advice relates to the legislation in force at the time, which may since have been amended.
Seek current advice from a solicitor, a more experienced certifier, the Building Professionals Board, or another government or regulatory body as appropriate.
The Building Professionals Board disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages and costs which you might incur as a result of the information on this page being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason.
Guiding development: better outcomes
Guiding development: better outcomes is a set of practice notes issued from 1999-2001. There have been many legislative and administrative changes since this time, but the notes outline principles for good professional practice that are applicable today.
- Overview (PDF | 130.7K) (September 1999)
- Avoiding corruption (PDF | 1.2M) (August 2001)
- Before work begins (PDF | 21.2K) (September 1999)
- Enforcement of development consents and complying development certificates (PDF | 1.1M) (August 2001)
- Exercising discretion (PDF | 65K) (August 2001)
- Private certification of strata plans (PDF | 52K) (June 2000)
- Complying development (PDF | 353.1K) (September 1999)
- Conditions of development consent (PDF | 55K) (September 1999)
- Construction certificates and the BCA (PDF | 821.5K) (September 1999)
- Construction certificates for building work (PDF | 953.3K) (September 1999)
- Construction certificates for subdivision (PDF | 635.4K) (September 1999)
- Public and private sector roles (PDF | 468.8K) (September 1999)
- The role of the principal certifying authority (PDF | 952.9K) (September 1999)
- When is there a conflict of interest for an accredited certifier? (PDF | 3M) (August 2001)
- The use of compliance certificates (PDF | 490.2K) (September 1999)
- What are the different types of development application? (PDF | 523.1K) (September 1999)
- What to expect on your development consent (PDF | 25K) (September 1999)
- When is a section 96 modification required? (PDF | 47.9K) (September 1999)
- Who is an accredited certifier? (PDF | 471K) (September 1999)
- Who is responsible? Liability issues (PDF | 51K) (September 1999)
From 2010 to 2013 the Board published a series of summaries of selected complaints and investigations. These were intended to assist certifiers, consent authorities and the public to achieve good outcomes from the certification process.
- Edition 1 March 2010 (PDF | 110.6K)
- Edition 2 June 2010 (PDF | 397.3K)
- Edition 3 March 2011 (PDF | 178.6K)
- Edition 4 November 2011 (PDF | 173.9K)
- Audit special December 2011 (PDF | 345.2K)
- Edition 5 March 2012 (PDF | 177.6K)
- Edition 6 September 2012 (PDF | 126.7K)
- Advisory review special December 2012 (PDF | 1.6M)
- Edition 7 April 2013 (PDF | 258.7K)
Conflicts of interest and the 'Stapleton protocol'
Advice issued in 2005 about accredited certifiers and conflicts of interest (PDF | 238.8K). Issued in response to the 'Stapleton case': No.2  NSWADT 70.