Amendments to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 came into force on 18 July 2014 and affect class 1b-9 buildings (not class 1a or 10 buildings).
The amendments include obligations for certifiers in relation to:
- inspecting egress routes before issuing a construction certificate or complying development certificate (refer to clauses 129B(1A) and 143B(2))
- notifying council of a 'significant fire safety issue' within two days of becoming aware of the issue (refer to clauses 129D and 162D)
- development standards for CDCs for change of use or internal reconfiguration (refer to clauses 132(2)(a1) 132(2)(a) and 132(2)(b)).
Clauses 130(4)(e), 132A and 154D are repealed.
- Technical guideline for practitioners (PDF | 187.1K) - find out how to determine what is a 'significant' fire safety issue and what is 'adequate' safe egress.
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 - always refer to the NSW Legislation website for the current version.
- Queries: contact the Department of Planning and Environment.