It is proposed to:
- recognise all degrees and graduate diplomas in building surveying from education providers approved by the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA) for categories A1, A2 and A3
- recognise the new Advanced Diploma of Building Surveying (CPC60115) from any registered training organisation approved by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) for category A2 and A3
- recognise the new Skill Set (CPCSS00004) from any registered training organisation approved by ASQA for category A3.
Benefits to students and course providers
- Recognising more qualifications will increase the number of current students eligible to become a certifier and provide further options for anyone considering certification as a career.
- New accredited courses will be recognised immediately, without providers having to request that the Accreditation Scheme be updated.
- Less red tape: providers of nationally-accredited courses will no longer have to obtain additional approval from professional associations.
Why change is needed
The Building Professionals Board has from 2010 required providers of building surveying qualifications to have those qualifications accredited by the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS) in order to have the qualification recognised in the Accreditation Scheme.
However, in 2012 ASQA and TESQA were established as the national regulators of qualifications and providers. As there are two government agencies regulating national qualifications and providers it is duplicitous and unnecessary to require registered providers to also obtain AIBS accreditation.
As a consequence of a national review of the building surveying qualifications provided by the vocational education and training (VET) sector the Diploma of Building Surveying was deleted by ASQA in 2015 and the old Advanced Diploma (CPC60108) was superseded by the new Advanced Diploma and a new Skill Set.
An amendment to the Accreditation Scheme is necessary to recognise the new Advanced Diploma and Skill Set so as to maintain a VET qualification; has been a successful pathway for builders and tradespeople to obtain accreditation in category A3.
Submissions on the proposed amendments can be emailed to
firstname.lastname@example.org until 5 pm on Monday 2 May 2016.
If you prefer, you can post your submission to PO Box 3720, Parramatta NSW 2124.
Submissions will be published online. That's why it's important to read our privacy statement at www.bpb.nsw.gov.au/privacy
- Building Professionals Board Accreditation Scheme
- Advanced Diploma of Building Surveying (CPC60115)
- Skill Set (CPCSS00004)
- National register of higher education providers: TESQA
- Email email@example.com or telephone (02) 8522 7800