Important information: as part of the Government's response to the Building Professionals Act Review a new Board has been appointed. This does not affect the Board's secretariat, which is functioning as normal.
The Board's statutory functions will transfer to the Department of Finance, Services and Innovation (DFSI) after the Building Professionals Act 2005 is rewritten in 2017. Until this time, an executive Board of senior public agency officers, appointed by the Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation, is carrying out the Board's functions.
Members of the executive Board are:
- Mr Rod Stowe, Commissioner for Fair Trading (President)
- Mr Anthony Lean, Chief Executive Officer, Office of Environment and Heritage (Deputy President)
- Mr John Tansey, A/Executive Director, Regulatory Policy, Better Regulation Division, Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
- Dr Gabrielle Wallace, Director, Building Professionals Board.
The Board's work
During this process of reform to strengthen the NSW certification system, the Board will provide leadership and strategic direction to:
- improve standards of building and development certification and review performance of the system
- set the goals and objectives required for the Board to implement Government policy decisions that relate to building and development certification
- advise the Minister on matters related to building and development certification
- anticipate and respond to legislative, policy, social, environmental and technological change.
Conduct of Board members
The people of NSW expect efficient, fair and impartial decisions and actions by the Board.
Members of the executive Board are required to carry out their duties according to the standards of impartiality, fairness and integrity expected of Board members and are subject to the provisions of the Independent Commission Against Corruption Act 1988, the Ombudsman Act 1974, and a strict code of conduct.
The Public Service Commission provides information about the appointment standards for NSW Government board and committee members.