The Building Professionals Board accredits and regulates certifiers in New South Wales.
The Building Professionals Board is a NSW Government authority created under the Building Professionals Act 2005. Board members are appointed by the Minister and supported by a secretariat.
The Board also investigates the professional conduct of certifiers to ensure they comply with legislative requirements.
The Board has the following statutory functions:
- accrediting certifiers for the purposes of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and the regulations under that Act
- promoting and maintaining standards of building and subdivision certification and design in NSW
- investigating complaints and taking disciplinary action against accreditation holders
- investigating certifying authorities, accredited certifier directors and building professionals
- prosecuting offences against the Building Professionals Act 2005 or the Building Professionals Regulation 2007, or any offence under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 or the regulations under that Act that relates to accredited certifiers, certifying authorities or building professionals
- reviewing the accreditation scheme under the Building Professionals Act 2005
- investigating matters referred to the Board by the Minister
- providing advice to the Minister with respect to any other matter in connection with the administration of the Building Professionals Act 2005
- other functions that are conferred or imposed on the Board by or under the Building Professionals Act 2005 or any other Act.
Our range of services fulfil our statutory functions and support certifiers, property owners, councils and communities.
The Board does not license or regulate builders or tradespeople. This is the role of NSW Fair Trading.
- Building Professionals Board annual report 2017-18
- Building Professionals Board annual report 2016-17
- Building Professionals Board annual report 2015-16 (PDF | 15.1M)
- Previous annual reports are on the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment's website.