Signs on development sites

BPB information sheet August 2010

Note to readers: information sheets relate to the legislation in force at the time, which may since have been amended.

Under the conditions of development consent or work classed as complying development, principal certifying authorities (PCA) and principal contractors are responsible for erecting a sign on the site of any building, subdivision or demolition work (this does not include internal work on an existing building that does not affect external walls).

The sign includes contact information, allowing the community to contact the PCA (the council or an accredited certifier) and the principal contractor to raise issues or make inquiries about a development. The PCA must be available to answer and deal with such inquiries and complaints.

What information needs to be on the sign?

The sign must include:

  • the name, address and telephone number of the PCA
  • the name, address, and day and after-hours business telephone numbers of the principal contractor
  • a statement that unauthorised entry to the site is prohibited.

A template sign is provided below that PCAs and principal contractors can use.

Sample development site PCA sign

What type of sign is required?

The sign must be rigid and durable, with legible and clear text that can be clearly seen by a person standing outside the site.

You can use a sign already on the site and it does not need to be professionally designed or even typed – information simply needs to be clearly visible and protected from inclement weather, such as by laminating.

Where should the sign be located?

The sign must be installed in a prominent position. It is not sufficient for the sign to be placed in an out-of-the-way corner where people are unlikely to see it.

The PCA should consider whether it is better to place the sign with other information signs on the site or in its own distinct location.

Is one sign enough?

The PCA and the principal contractor can each install their own signs, but it may be easier for the community if all required and relevant contact information is on the one sign.

Under regulations, only one sign containing all the required information is needed. The PCA and the principal contractor may erect additional signs depending upon the size of the site.

How long must the sign remain up?

The sign needs to be maintained while the work is being carried out and must be removed at the completion of work.

What happens if one is not installed?

Without a sign containing contact numbers, the community will not know who to call to find out more about the work taking place. In addition, if a sign is not installed and maintained, the PCA and/or principal contractor can be given a penalty infringement notice (fine) of $580.

The relevant council may also issue an order to require a sign to be installed.