Swimming pools and certification

To sell a property with a swimming pool or spa pool, the owner must have a certificate of compliance, a certificate of non-compliance or an occupation certificate for the pool.

To lease a property with a pool, the owner must have a certificate of compliance or an occupation certificate for the pool.

Pool barriers can be inspected by a local council or a private certifier accredited in category A1, A2, A3 or E1 who is listed on the Swimming Pool Register.

Some swimming pool certifiers can also carry out minor repairs to make a swimming pool comply with the Swimming Pools Act 1992. To carry out minor repairs, they must be authorised under the Home Building Act to carry out swimming pool building or structural landscaping.

Where minor works costing up to $1,000 are required to make the pool compliant, the owner is under no obligation to engage the certifier who inspected their pool. The owner is free to engage others to do the work or do the work themselves.

For more information about the requirements, view the Office of Local Government’s factsheets for sellers, buyers, legal professionals, real estate agents, managing agents, landlords and tenants, local authorities and accredited certifiers.

Information for pool owners

I want to:

Information for E1 swimming pool certifiers and candidates

I want to: